Thursday, December 8, 2011

WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES

In the last month two of my galleries have closed. I have been having increasing success at each gallery so it was really tough to see them go. I will miss Riverbend Fine Art in Marble Falls and Port A Gallery in Port Aransas very much.

Almost simultaneously I was asked to join Mountainsong Gallery in Carmel, California. I had the good fortune of being in this year's American Impressionists Society show which was hosted by Mountainsong. When the show came down they asked me to join the gallery and I am pleased to have accepted the invitation. Being in Mountainsong brings its own set of challenges in that it is going to force me to into a whole new genre of painting. California is well known for its long history with plein air painters and many of my favorite artists working today make their home there. Oh heck...I may just have to go to Carmel every year to paint. Oh well somebody's gotta do it.
















"Big Sur" 12" x 16" oil/linen

Here's my first California Coast painting. This scene is along Highway 1 along the coastal highway. I am hoping to make a trip to California soon to gather some on location painting time and photo reference.

You hear artists say all the time that "you have to find your own voice". I guess I get to see if the voice I developed by painting plein air in the Texas Hill Country will translate to the California landscape.



4 comments:

Lorna said...

Wishing you all the very best Rusty.

Sherrie Russ Levine said...

Congrats on the new opportunity Rusty. Love your blog and look forward to seeing more here!

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks Lorna and Sherrie. Like you say Sherrie, this is an exciting opportunity. Thank you both for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Douglas Carter, A Painting Diary said...

GOD has a plan it good to be in it. 8)