Sunday, March 29, 2009

SCENES FROM BIG BEND #3


"Terlingua Adobe" 9" x 16" oil on linen

Just West of Big Bend is the small
town of Terlingua which served as a
mining community in the mid-1880s.
The only remnants of the mining days
is the ghost town which once housed
the miners for the Chisos Mining Company.

There are about a dozen abandoned
adobe houses like the one depicted above,
a cemetery and the Starlight Cafe where
hot, sunbaked,smelly after a day of painting
in the Texas heat artists like myself
migrate to for a cold beer, country
western music and a nice dinner.

After a few beers and a hearty meal me
and my travel companions will mosey
(Texan for move about) out to the porch,
sit in rocking chairs and gaze at the
brightest stars seen anywhere.

4 comments:

Steve Atkinson said...

WOW! Great light effect Rusty. One of my favorites of yours.

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks Steve. Means a lot coming from you.

julie davis said...

Rusty, love your work and can't wait to see the pieces from Jill's workshop here. The Big Bend work is breathtaking, and I really like this little adobe from Terlingua. You captured the light and shadows, and the composition is wonderful.

Sally Shisler said...

Wouldn't you know! You ARE Rusty Jones - Medical Illustrator! I continue to be amazed at the miminal 'degrees of separation' we find through the internet. Carol is a good friend of mine too, but I arrived here through a link on Julie Davis's blog. I've known of you as a medical illustrator for at least 20 years - ever since my study at UIC's Biomedical Visualization Graduate Program. You were definitely one of the master illustrators to aspire to. I'd heard a while back from a contemporary of mine, Jim Postier (medical illustrator at Mayo), that you had turned your devotions to painting, but I didn't know it was plein air. Your paintings are simply awe-some (cool yes, but truly awe inspiring)! I have had a long career in medical art and I still support myself this way, but I spend most of my time painting and teaching plein air palette knife workshops here in Florida. Anyway - I am so excited to find you, and I'll now be following you as a painter instead of illustrator!