Friday, November 20, 2009

FRESH OF THE EASEL














"Washout Patterns" 22" x 28" oil/c

Fresh of the easel ten minutes ago. This
is one of my entries for the Paint America
competition. I hope to get another one
done before the December 1st deadline.

Canyon De Chelly is well known for the flash
floods that fill the bottom of the canyon.
Unfortunately when I was there in
September we had no rain so the standing
water in the painting is made up.

This is the first of several large Canyon
paintings I will be doing this year. The subject
matter is so interesting with all of the
overlapping canyon patterns and reflected
light bouncing everywhere.

I can see why it became a favorite
subject for Edgar Payne.

2 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

You've really captured the feel of canyons. I've spent the last 4 days traveling through canyons--Canyonlands, Natural Bridges Monument, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon tomorrow. Your piece caught my eye immediately. Can't wait to see more.

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks Pam. Sounds like you're on a great trip. Doing any paintings along the way?