Saturday, April 23, 2011

BLUEBONNETS
















"Blue Shadows" 9" x 12" oil/line


Bluebonnet paintings are a lot like still life
paintings for me. I do them, but not very often.
I guess if I lived in the Hill Country or somewhere I could
paint them more en plein air I might get to where I feel
more comfortable doing them. For some reason I always
feel like I need to scratch the back of my neck when doing
a bluebonnet painting. I think part of it is I grew up and
live in Texas so people naturally assume as a Texas artist
that painting bluebonnets should come easy. I'm here to tell
you...it ain't easy.

This one is more successful than the ones I've done in
the past, but I struggled over this more than any
other painting in the show. In the end it was mind over
matter as I put down the final strokes of paint and felt
good about what I had accomplished.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful and you did a fine job creating a nice play of color and light and sense of depth. Love it!

Douglas Clark said...

You really got the right color blue. That's always one of the most important things about a bluebonnet painting.

Brad Miedema said...

Love the composition! Very energetic. Nice brush strokes.

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks a lot everybody. Your comments have given me the confidence to stick this one in a frame and call it done.