Friday, May 28, 2010

TAKING IT BIG










"Eldorado Snow Day" 18" x 36" oil/c

This larger studio painting is from a 9" x 12"
study I did back in February when we
had an unusually large dumping of snow.

The foreground, silo and barns are from
the study. The distant farm on the horizon
is made up along with the weather. It was
overcast and cloudy the day I produced
the study. I decided in the studio piece I
would add some sunlight breaking
through to light up the barn.

This is proof positive that to be a decent
landscape painter you have to get out
of the studio to paint from life. When painting
the study I got one or two shots of sunlight
just like I've shown in the painting. I made
a mental not of it at the time and wrote it
down in my sketchbook. The field sketch,
my notes and pencil sketch along with
the photography I did that day all helped
to remind me of what was going on three
months later when I finally got around to
doing the painting.

The field sketch.














"Eldorado Snow Day" 9" x 12" oil/c

1 comment:

Pat O'Driscoll said...

Rusty,
I like the depth you created in this one ,nice lighting.