Sunday, June 10, 2012

WATERFALL MANIA

"Hidden Falls Wyoming"   18" x 24"  oil/linen

I have always been enamored by waterfalls. Waterfalls rank second to mountains as geological formations that catch my fancy. Those familiar with Grand Teton National Park and Jenny Lake in particular, know to reach these falls requires either a short boat ride across the lake or a nice five mile hike. It is a popular attaction so the bridge from where I shot my photo was quite crowded, but I hung around most of the day and took photos in different kinds of light. 

I've been wanting to do this painting for over ten years, but because I'm in Texas and most of my work is from around here, it took the Lake Tahoe Art Festival coming in August to motivate me to finally paint it. Which answers the question I am asked more than any other and the answer is yes I take photos and I do paint from them. As much as I love plein air painting, when a boy from Texas travels to Teton National Park with limited time to get it all in, photography helps document the essential information that can later be put into use for paintings. Its a lot like fishing for bass. You can either worm fish (yawn) or throw spinner baits. The result is the same, you catch fish but you can cover a lot more water with a spinner bait.

6 comments:

William R. Moore said...

Rusty,
A really fine painting. Great paint application on the falls, hard, soft and in between. Great value and warn and cool color variations.

Agree that photos can be equally useful as a starting point for a fine painting. If a person is an observer of nature, a fine painting can doesn't have to be be painted before nature and sometimes can get in the way of a well designed painting. Like your fishing analogy.

Glad you got around to painting this, it be a keeper.

William R. Moore said...

My proof reading skills should be much better.
If a person is an observer of nature, a fine painting doesn't have to be be painted before nature and sometimes nature can get in the way of a well designed painting.

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks William. I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment.

Carol Reynolds said...

Wonderful! Just perfection and very beautiful.

yanmaneee said...

kobe basketball shoes
supreme clothing
yeezy boost 350
yeezy
yeezy
nike kyrie 5
bape clothing
golden goose
yeezy boost 380
off white nike

Unknown said...

directory replica designer backpacks their explanation content visit this site right here replica gucci bags